Pages

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Nailed It!

Since I've gone back to work I've done several demos and calls over the web to talk about my awesome application and convince companies that they need it. I get a little nervous about those, but not really so bad since I can wear whatever I want and be in the comfort of my own home while I perform the demo. It takes a lot of stress out of the situation.

I'm not sure how much is appropriate to say about who the companies involved are so I give you this key:

Company G - The company I contract for.
Company S - Our partner company we typically get clients from to sell my software
Company V - Purchased our software while I was not working for Company G
Company C - Newest potential client.


Recently my boss called and asked if I could do a demo locally here in Houston for a rather large potential client, Company C. I of course accepted, then the freaking out began. I hadn't had a haircut in almost 18 months, all of my old work clothes had since been thrown out because they didn't fit, were faded or Brandon found something else wrong with them. He's such a clothing natzi! For this particular demo we were working in conjunction with another local company, Company S, that we have worked with before and I had a pre demo with them to boost their confidence I would do a good job. As it happened, after I left Company G when I got pregnant with Ian, they gave a demonstration of the software to Company V and it was an embarrassing disaster, although Company V still bought the software (yep, the software is THAT awesome...maybe I'm biased). Company S was really upset about how it all went down and did not want the same thing to happen at this demo for Company C. So not only do I feel very frumpy and unpolished, I also have these huge expectations to do a good job hanging over me.

The week before the demo I fretted about trying to find some appropriate clothes, and I'm just gonna take a minute here to rant. Finding nice professional stuff for someone my size is basically impossible. Any normal common store like Target or Kohls or even your big department stores like Dillards and JC Penney have a severe lack of selection for small women. In most brands I wear an XS or size 2 or less. I seriously seriously HATE the marking system for women's clothes. It's perfectly worthless! I would much rather buy my clothes like men do, with a measurement! It makes so much more sense. One of the biggest reasons I LOVE sewing clothes. You can make all the alterations so it fits perfect. It's too bad our local fabric stores just don't carry the variety of materials best suited for apparel. What they do have is so limited. I can't order fabric online, I have to touch it to know I'll love it. Back to purchased clothing. Even when I do find clothes that are my size, the fit usually isn't flattering or comfortable. Hence, I hate, HATE, HAAATTTEEE clothes shopping! Ask Brandon, I think in the almost 7 years we've been married, I've gone seriously clothes shopping maybe 3 times. Thanks to a recommendation from my SIL I went to Ann Taylor LOFT in Kingwood and it was like a dream! I couldn't believe how WELL the clothes fit, and the amount of clothes in my size, the professional grown up styles. I was totally in heaven, but they were pricey, even with their 40% off sale. I picked up a pair of slacks, a pair of jeans, and a classic white button shirt. The next 2 hours I spent at the mall finding shoes and some additional shirts. Sears carried some nice shirts my size. I finally went home exhausted but feeling more confident.

The days leading up to the demo I spent hours going over every possible event in the application to make sure it all worked exactly like I expected. I set up two instances in case one failed I would have a backup. I usually do all my development on our office desktop machine so I ran into several issues when I installed a compact instance on my laptop, but I did get it all working just like I expected. Night before I went to bed quite confident. I'd done everything I could possibly do to make sure this demo went off without a hitch. Strangely, I didn't feel too nervous.

Demo day comes and I don't have a single issue, I find the location with ease, no problems setting up the demo. All the introductions went well. The discussion was great, and the demo worked perfectly, not a single thing went wrong, except at the very end when we were having closing discussions I couldn't stop coughing no matter how much water I drank. Thankfully I decided last minute to bring my "drugstore" I usually keep in my purse and a cough drop saved the day. Company C was very interested and eager to have the software but they required another meeting with corporate. So I'll go back in a couple weeks to give another demo and answer technical questions. Company S's faith was restored in Company G and they were very happy at the outcome of this meeting. It was awesome!

At the end of the day I was completely exhausted from being on high alert for so long but it was worth it. I feel very accomplished and I LOVE what I do! I love being a mom and I love working and I love that I can do both! I couldn't have all this without an amazing supportive husband, who took care of the kids while I was gone, and takes care of them weekly when I work in the evening.

1 comments:

MissRissa said...

That's awesome Mel! Im so glad it went well! As for sewing/fabric, you should take a trip to high fashion fabrics downtown. It's seriously awesome. Youll get WAY more choices than Joanne's

Post a Comment