Pages

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Thankful Thanksgiving

My family has never really had a traditional Thanksgiving. We don't have anything that we do every year for sure. Most years I remember going camping or out to eat Hibachi. When we did have a meal at home, it was never green bean casserole and stuffing. It was usually a Cajun feast with white beans and dirty rice dressing. The last couple of Thanksgivings as it comes close we all just kind of look back and forth to each other and say:

Us: "What are ya'll doing?" 
Them: "I dunno what are you doing"
Us: "I don't know we didn't plan anything" 
Them: "Oh well we might do this or that" 
Us: "Ok well I think we're just stay home, maybe make a turkey and some potatoes, I don't know." 
Them: "Ok so if our plans don't work out can we come over?" 
Us: "Sure"

And so the Masten home has become: If you don't have plans, come over to our house for Thanksgiving. This year wound up inadvertently being out biggest yet. We had 10 adults and 8 kids over, which included my parents, my brother and his family, my sister-in-law's family, and our good friends and their family. With everyone wanting to bring something as is the case, our menu got bigger and bigger. It was quite the mix of traditional and just good food. We had:

  • Turkey
  • Stuffing
  • Turnip Greens (from the garden, we're celebrating the harvest after all right?)
  • Au Gratin Potatoes
  • Home made dinner rolls
  • Pumpkin Pie
  • Pecan Pie
  • White Beans and Rice
  • Pork Roast
  • Dirty Rice
  • Cranberry Sauce (whole and jelly)
  • Sweet Potato Casserole
  • Green Bean Casserole
  • Mashed Potatoes
  • Black Olives
  • Pink Fluff (whipped cream with fruit)
  • Ham
  • Stuffed Bacon Wrapped Jalapenos
  • Deviled Eggs
  • Induction Fried Turkey
  • Gravy
  • Sodas and Juice
Just getting a small spoon full of everything made our plates overflow. So much delicious food. I'm still eating on the leftovers and they're still amazing!

The day before Thanksgiving, while I was baking up the bread and pies, I took out an array of craft stuff and helped the kids make some turkeys from pine cones and other assorted items. They turned out super cute, see?


I think a new glue gun is on my wish list this year since as I was gluing on the last sequin for Ian, my dollar store gun popped loudly, tripped the circuit breaker, and started smoking. It lasted pretty good for 5 years of use.

I know that I am truly blessed in my life. I am so thankful for a loving family, for a patient husband who deals with my craziness. I'm thankful for sweet kids, that while they drive me bonkers, my life would be empty without them. I'm grateful for awesome in-laws and the best parents ever who love and support my family and spoil my kids. I'm also thankful for an awesome job that lets me be mom and enjoy using my skills and education, for my husband's job that has great security and benefits, that challenges him and presents countless opportunities for learning. Above all I'm grateful for a loving Heavenly Father, that knows me. Who sent his son to provide a way for us to return and live with Him. What a wonderful holiday of Thanksgiving to reflect and count our blessing. I have so many, I'm still counting!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

0 comments:

Post a Comment