Pages

Friday, October 28, 2011

The Truth About Moms

The old saying "Moms have eyes in the back of their heads." came to mind a couple of days ago. I think perhaps that phrase was coined because it's easier for kids to understand that's how moms know what they are up to all the time. In reality, the phrase should be "Moms have supersonic hearing and impeccable sound recognition." As I have become a more experienced mom I have learned the sound every drawer in my kitchen makes, the sound of every item in the drawer and cabinet. The sound of all cabinets in the bathroom, the creak of any bed in the house, the distinct squeak profile of every door, and the sound of basically any toy or object clattering with any other toy or object or person in the house.

There have been many times I'm folding laundry in the utility room and I call upstairs to Zoey to stop throwing books off of Ian's book shelf and put the rocker ottoman back where it belongs. Other occurances include: to let Ian out of the closet, put all her jammies back in their drawer, and stop banging legos on the TV stand. Without even being in view of her I know she stops and wonders how the heck I know exactly what she is up to. The other saying, "It's not what you hear, it's what you don't that you should be worried about" is also true.  Typically when I realize there is an absence of sound I'll drop whatever I'm doing and brace myself for the worst when I go and find the kids. Nine times out of ten they'll be getting into trouble, like smearing three whole tubes of chapstick all over their faces, but sometimes they're being really sweet, like reading books to each other.

I'm constantly amazed at the new things that being a mom has taught me. They are lessons and skills you can't be taught any other way.

1 comments:

MissRissa said...

I was in the girls room when i heard Cambry in the kitchen getting something out of the fridge. I knew the baby monitor was on the kitchen counter so I whispered into the speaker, "cambry don't you dare get out another yogurt". I heard her freeze for a few seconds and then the door slammed shut and she ran out of the kitchen. When I came out she was still looking very confused! Makes me wonder about all rhe times I *thought* I was fooling my mom- remember the movie incident ;)

Post a Comment