Pages

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Surprisingly Not Awful

4 o'clock rolls around every day and I think, crap, what do I make for dinner? Well I opened the fridge and found a lot of stuff nearing the end of its age including some carrots and cabbage from the garden. I was pretty determined this year to actually use my cabbage. So a little hocus pocus later, out came dinner. I was really worried it was going to be horrendous because I was literally just throwing ingredients and seasonings in the pot hoping it would turn into something edible. When I finally sat down and took the first bite I exclaimed "Wow! That's surprisingly not awful. It's actually pretty good." Since I originally planned to make sweet and sour pork, this is really similar. We ate it on rice.



Pork With Vegetables


Ingredients:
1 lb pork cut in cubes
1 onion chopped
1 green bell pepper chopped
handful of carrots chopped
2 small heads of cabbage cut in thin strips
salt and pepper to taste
dash red pepper
good sprinkle garlic powder
2 fair splashes of apple cider vinegar
2 big plops of brown sugar
4 sage leaves cut in thin strips
2 large pinches of dried thyme
1 can chicken broth
2 Tbsp corn starch

Directions:
Brown pork in a little oil. Add vegetables and cook 10 minutes. Add half the broth and remaining ingredients except corn starch. Cook until cabbage is tender, about 25 minutes. Mix corn starch with remaining broth and add to pot, cook just until thickened. Add water as necessary. Serve on hot rice.


0 comments:

Post a Comment