Pages

Monday, March 19, 2012

The Garden Season 4.0

Since last year we moved the fence up, we gained a lot of new garden space. So this year we've added two new beds mostly dedicated to fruit production, something we haven't gotten much out of the garden in the past. Most of the plants are pretty small or barely emerging at this point, but I'm always excited to show off what I'll be growing each year.

Strawberries, peppers and marigolds. A couple open spots here.

Watermelons just starting to emerge, also cantaloupe and sunflowers in this bed.

Corn, as always. It's taken 4 years to figure out how to keep the squirrels out. If all goes well, I should produce ~70 ears of corn.

Green beans, lima beans, and marigolds, two of which have already been decapitated by Ian.

Eggplant, lots of basil, some dill, sage, tarragon, and zucchini.

Tomatoes and cucumbers. Jetsetters are doing well, still have my new variety Rutgers growing inside, probably another week before they're ready for transplant.

The fig tree is finally starting to see some height. Plenty of little figgies starting to appear.

This bed was extended this year and I've added some asparagus (that weedy stick on the left) but we can't harvest from it until next year, they have to establish the first year.

Blackberries had a rough time last year, so we'll see how they bounce back this year.

Rosemary, Stevia, yellow onions and marigolds. This bed was also extended this year.

Orange tree is finally well established. it had lots of blooms about a week ago. I can't tell if any have set yet, I'm hoping this is the first year for at least one orange!

A view of the whole garden. The kids were helping me transplant a bell pepper plant from the Aerogarden.

So there's a few spots left in the garden, but those will be filled once I go to the Mercer Arboretum plant sale this Friday! I'm going to pick up some thyme, cilantro, parsley, and some other vegetable to put on the other side of the peppers, not sure what I want yet, I'll know it when I see it.

I don't usually put in marigolds but one of Zoey's favorite Max and Ruby episodes is when Ruby plants some Marigolds in her dolly's garden so I figured they'd be good for attracting bees and Zoey would enjoy planting them. She really did. Ian has also enjoyed decapitating them, which severely upsets Zoey. Can't win 'em all! I'm really hoping the sunflowers (Kong Hybrids) do much better than last year being in 100% full sun, in the center of a regular water and feed schedule, and started from seed. I just worry they might cast too much shade on the corn. We'll see. I love trying new stuff!

More pictures in a couple weeks when everything is really growing!

0 comments:

Post a Comment