Pages

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

On Beauty and the Beast

Zoey was on a kick a while back watching this movie every day. The only reason she strayed from Cars and Toy story was because in desperation I told her this was her friend's FAVORITE movie so she agreed to watch it. I'm not sure if I'm happy to have had a change of pace in movies or annoyed that everytime we watch this movie something else bothers me about it.

I admit when I watched the movie for the first time in theaters back when I was like 6 or something, I cried when I thought Beast died. I still sometimes hold back a sniffle. So it IS a good movie.


  1. Belle can't be satisfied. At least twice in the movie she bursts out in song about how she wants "so much more than this provincial life." It's good to aim high, but I can't help but feel like she's being demeaning to all the other people in that cute little town that love and appreciate the lives they have. Not to mention her single father inventing more liabilities than useful inventions just to give her that little life. So ungrateful!
  2. Mrs Potts has a 4 year old son. At the end of the movie once everyone is human again. We see that Mrs. Potts looks to be in her late 50s, early 60s and Chip, her son, is about 4 or 5 years old. It also seems pretty clear that Belle's dad is also interested in Mrs. Potts confirming the idea that Mrs Potts is in her later years. So I'm wondering who in the heck gets a mid 50 year old women pregnant and then leaves her. I mean, where's Chip's dad? How does she even get pregnant in the first place? Most women that age are going through menopause or already done. So maybe Chip is adopted, but what kind of broken family did he come from in that case? But then there's the part where Mrs. Potts as the teapot tells hip to get in the cupboard with his brothers and sisters and there are a ton of them! How many kids does this old lady have?! It's just weird and doesn't make sense ok. All they had to do was make chip Mrs. Potts grandson and there's nothing else out of place.
Ok but there are parts of the movie that I love, like:

Beast: I'll show you to your room.
Belle: But I thought....
Beast: Do you want to stay in the tower?
Belle: No.

It's the inflection in Belle's response that cracks me up, it's totally me and Zoey.

Me: Lets go to the store
Zoey: I wanna watch Max and Ruby
Me: Do you want to stay home by yourself?
Zoey: No (with the same inflection).

And then there's the scene when Beast tries to get Belle to come out of her room and go to dinner. That's me and Zoey every day.


I guess I didn't realize it until now, I am a Beast! To be fair Zoey is a stubborn Belle too! Sometimes I love the movie, but sometimes I can't stand to watch it again. Forever is the cycle with kids and their movie obsessions.

0 comments:

Post a Comment