Pages

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Kicking and Screaming

I don't know why, but I've always resisted change. When Windows XP came out, I really fought installing it for months and months. I didn't care that it was so much better than Windows 98, that it was cooler and had better security (well can't say much for it prior to service pack 2) and yadda yadda. I'd have none of it. Windows 98 never did me any wrong, it wasn't broke and worked just fine. Finally I broke down and installed it fresh and I turned to my friends and said, "You were right, this IS better!"

There was just the conversation I had with Brandon before he left for his business trip to Brazil, "Thanks for making me get this sprinkler system, the lawn is so pretty and the garden is so happy!" And the water softener...the TV....come to think of it Brandon's been right a lot, dragging me along kicking and screaming until I finally open my tight shut eyes and realize, hey this ain't so bad, I think I even like it!

What does that have to do with the price of tea in China? Well, I've fought starting a blog for a good many years. I can't say I've had an excellent reason for resisting, but among them:
  • Everyone is doing it and I don't want to be like everyone else.
  • Blogs are for people that don't know how to write html or other web languages.
  • I don't want Joe Crazyperson reading about myself and family
  • It's just a fad and will blow over in a couple months, like Gigapets.
  • I'm lazy.
With that said, I've obviously started to open my eyes and think, eehh maybe I'll give this blogging thing a chance. I'm sure you're just dying to know the reasons:
  • Blogs are easy, and if I so choose I can even inject a little html just to make me feel better than people that don't
  • Security is better these days, though annoying for the end user.
  • Many notes I write on Facebook are probably getting missed by people who might have liked to read them
  • Dear friends and Family who do not Facebook or live nearby will have many sleepless nights wondering if Ian finally jumped off the TV stand or if Zoey actually learned to play by herself for 10 minutes.
  • I don't journal or feel compelled to write many notes on Facebook because I don't want to spam up people's feeds. Here, you visit if you want to.
  • I'm lazy, and that needs to change.
I won't promise any certain frequency of posts or number of pictures or details so great you fall asleep just waiting for the punchline. All I say is, I'll give it a try.

2 comments:

Snowflake said...

I've always felt the same about blogs. It does seem like a good way for family to see pictures or read stories about the kids though. I've been thinking of what I want to do so my own family can see what our twins will be up to, once they get here. Good luck with your test run of blogging!

Nookleerman said...

You have needed to have a blog for a while now. Your facebook stories read like one anyway. Welcome to 2002.

Post a Comment