Pages

Monday, February 13, 2012

Respect for Your Elders

I've been thinking about this post for a while but I couldn't decide if it made me seem too crotchety old lady, but I think I'm gonna be there at some point anyway so I figure what the hey. Growing up when I was introduced to an adult who was a member of the Church, they would refer to themselves or whomever was introducing them would say this is Brother or Sister LastName. That was then how I would always address that person. Adults would address each other or kids by their first names or Brother or Sister LastName.

In my Singles and Married Ward at BYU we all referred to each other by our first names because we were all peers and adults. When we moved back to Texas, I still referred to all the people I knew as a kid as Brother or Sister LastName. It was just too weird to try calling them by their first name even though it seemed acceptable to do so since I was now an adult.

I don't know if it's just our ward or if it is a growing trend among young families in LDS culture (or maybe everywhere?), but just about everyone I encounter introduces me as Mrs. Melanie to their kids. It just seems weird to me. I mean even if we weren't members of the same church I could see it a little more acceptable. I always remember as a kid, if that adult was not a member of the church they were still Mr. or Ms. LastName. The only adults I ever remember calling by their first name were family members, like Aunt Mandy or Uncle Mike or very close family friends, who were practically family, Ms. Crystal.

Maybe it's just me, but I'd still rather people introduce me to kids as Mrs. Masten or Sister Masten. I will typically introduce and refer to myself or others in that traditional manner. Aunt Mel(anie) suits me just fine for family and close friends.

So am I just being lame about this or is there really a decline in traditional respect in the addressing of elders among children? Adults to blame, they're teaching the kids that way. I mean what happens when they become teenagers and they just drop the title all together. I definitely think that can get disrespectful fast.

Yeah, I'm old fashioned like that!

2 comments:

MissRissa said...

I got called "sister miss cambrys mommy" the other day. Obviously kids are getting mixed messages...

Ricky Stephen LeBlanc, PMP said...

I agree with you Ms Mel... I think it is a Southern tradition. When we grew up it was always Mr or Mrs LastName or if it was family it was Aunt or Uncle FirstName even though they were a cousin if they were an adult. Glad I am close family so I can continue to call you Ms Mel...

BTW in grade school the *old-time* teachers we would call Miss FirstName but the younger ones Miss LastName can't every remember using Mrs... even though they were all married.

Post a Comment