Pages

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Mardi Gras!

My Cajun heritage is full of rich traditions, one of my favorites that I am excited every year to have my kids participate in is Mardi Gras. Now I know that it is just a giant party that happens before lent, and I'm not Catholic. Much of Cajun culture is, and who doesn't love a big party, even if you don't observe the religious traditions that follow it?

Galveston attempts to have Mardi Gras celebrations, but if you want the real deal, you go to Louisiana. The media representation is that all the parades are crazy drunk boobie flashing people. I usually get a shocked look when I tell people I'm taking my kids to Mardi Gras. So let me dispel the myths. Mardi Gras in Louisiana is a safe family friendly event if you remember two things: Day time parades and Not downtown New Orleans.

For the last two years, our parade location of choice has been the 12:30 parade in Houma. Also for the last two years, the Saturday parades have been rained out so we got double the fun on Sunday with back to back parades. That's basically 3 solid hours of bead throwing, music, dancing, toys, glittering costumes, and tons of fun!


Enjoying some pre parade snacks and toys. Thanks nanny for the little truck, Ian loves vehicles!


The "silly nanny" shot.


Dad's bead pickers he uses to pick up all the uncaught beads and toys from the ground. He's pretty quick with those things! 


Zoey got the most stuff when Brandon raised her on his shoulders and took her up to the floats.


Uncle Ricky had the same idea to float Denver along until he got something. 


After about 10 floats or so Ian was done, tired and ready for a nap.


With some help from maw maw, Ian perseveres through two parades with over 20 floats in the first and over 30 floats in the second.


Zoey droppes off some of her goodies...


Into the rapidly filling wagon.


Those floats just keep coming!


The kids hauled in about 40 lbs of beads, toys, and candy! After a long drive home after the parade, the kids woke up the next day completely thrilled to play with their spoils all day long. What fun we had, I can't wait to go back next year!

1 comments:

brandon said...

Yes our kids are usually pants-less. Ian insists on it and Zoey copies him.

Post a Comment