Pages

Monday, July 16, 2012

Adventures in Spinning

Remember that roving I bought at the Houston Pony Meet? Well I ordered a knitpicks Turkish drop spindle and worked a little on it, it was difficult and I did like it, but it wasn't going as easy as I hoped. Learning curves, and the fact I was trying to teach myself really. Then work got busy and blah blah blah. Well I started watching some more drop spindle videos and learned a few new things so I picked up my spindle and started again, this time it was going much better! Before I knew it I had spun up all my roving into two lovely little balls of singles


Clearly my technique needs some refining as the singles are wildly thick and thin. I figured after plying it would balance out a bit.

During plying I realized I did not add as much twist to the yarn as I should have, because it turned out very puffy and loose looking, but it held together well anyway

I got pretty quick and plied the second ball in about an hour. The Turkish spindle is great because it makes a center pull ball and you can ply from the inside and outside without a problem. I love it.

Then Zoey helped me wind into a skein and tie it up to prepare for setting the twist. Without a niddy-noddy I used two chairs next to each other. I could have just used one chair back, but I like the way a longer hank looks. I wound up with about 110 yards of yarn. To set the twist I soaked in some water for a few minutes, rinsed in cold, squeezed out the water in a towel, whacked it against the tub a few times and hung to dry.

When it was done drying, I twisted it into hanks. Lovely. There it is, my first hand spun yarn all ready to use.


It took me a while to find a pattern to use since I was overestimating how much project I could get out of my 4 oz of bulky/super bulky yarn. I did find this pattern for a headband ear warmer which I decided would be just right. I don't really wear hats in the winter because my hair is always in a pony tail, so this sounded like something I might actually use. It took just a couple hours to knit up (with kid interruptions) and used slightly less than one of my balls of yarn. I think I might make a matching one for Zoey if I don't find any other pattern I like.

Over the weekend I started looking at hand carders...and wool combs...I think I might see some in my near future. This whole spinning thing is way fun!

6 comments:

Christina McKinney said...

You lost me on some of the terminology, but this turned out awesome! You're so talented!! :)

Beth said...

Woot! You caught the BUG! Next thing you know, you'll be shopping for wheels and having long discussions with people about the merits different fibers.

MissRissa said...

This was like reading An instruction manual... In Chinese. But the finished product is ADORABLE!!! I love it!

MissRissa said...

P.s. the only things your spam filter is missing are a retina scan and a blood sample... :P

Melanie said...

Thanks guys!

Beth, it's dangerous having your mom so close, she's letting me borrow some tools and supplying me with raw wool. haha.

mmikerd07 said...

You are flipping amazing! The finished product looks awesome!

Post a Comment