Pages

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Food Storage Here We Go!

So this rambling post started as a Facebook status update and then I switched to the blog and just started pouring out everything in my brain. I'm sorry for the grammar and formatting, but I just had to get it out there.

Apparently the slow and cheap way of getting my 3 month food storage was not panning out  (been "trying" for 5 years now) so I decided that with all the extra hours I'm working we can afford to do the quick and easy way. So I ordered several preconfigured packages from a couple different companies: Shelf Reliance, Augason Farms, and Wise Food Supply for some variety of contents. At least this way I will have something and can start learning to use it and learn what we like and use and then build our year supply from what I learn. It works out to about 1088 calories per day, which I know is a little low (though I know the kids consume far less than this, I'm dividing calories equally between us all). I'd prefer 1500 cals per person minimum, but with the produce we get from the garden year round  I think that would make up the difference. And this is if we had to rely SOLELY on what was in the food storage. I usually keep a month+ worth of typical canned goods in my pantry at any given time. So I feel comfortable calling this my 3 month supply.

Lucky for Lowla, her dog food has a best by date of about a year after packaging, so I picked up a 3 month supply for her also. Don't forget your pets need to eat too!

Next month I will be focusing on water storage. After all, water is pretty essential and none of that dry food is gonna taste that great if it can't be reconstituted and cooked. I've got my eyes on the Super Tanker. I'd like to get two but I think we'll start with one and see how that works out. 250 gals would be less than a gallon per person per day for 3 months - for our family of 4-not including the dog's needs, which is not acceptable. I think it's a good idea to also have portable, more convenient water, so I plan to also stock up on bottled water and some 5 gal containers as well. I've been wanting to get some rain barrels for a while too. Emergency water for human consumption if needed, but mostly for sustaining the garden in drought and no city water is available or it is contaminated.

Month after will be non perishables(toiletries) and accessories (wheat grinder, potable drinking hoses) and organization tools for rotating and storing stock.

I'm not sure why recently it is really striking me to get my stuff in order, it may have a lot to do with my recent calling to be the Relief Society Secretary, but in any case I know the Lord is providing very well for us financially right now, and though we've been paying down our mortgage dramatically, I think putting our food supply in order is a good use of funds. Today may be high, but tomorrow who knows, better prepared than not.

To many, myself included, this just seemed like a daunting task that would take forever to accomplish and if you need to do it the cheapest way, then yes it will take a lot of time and planning. I don't think it is communicated very well that you don't HAVE to do it the slow and cheap way and that you're not a bad person if you choose to take the short cuts. What's important is that you feel you are adequately prepared to self sustain your family in any situation: daily interruptions (like when our neighborhood lost water for half a day and then was on boil notice for a week in case of contaminated supply), job loss, health complications, local disaster, national disaster, global disaster. Heck, I think this is great insurance for "I can't get to the store today but we are out of eggs and I need to bake a cake...oh hello dehydrated eggs, thanks for saving me!" or "I've been on the couch horribly sick all day but my family needs dinner and my husband is working late. Hi there MRE, I'm so glad you're here to feed my children in 15 minutes."

Whatever the case, I never want to feel like I have to rely on someone else, or the government, to take care of me and my family if I am perfectly able to do it myself. They always say to save for a rainy day, and usually we think of money, but if the day ever came that food was more valuable than money, I want to make sure my bank is full.

If you haven't started yours, go to a site now and just order a sample pack if that's all you can. The rest will follow. Don't sit longer thinking of doing it tomorrow or waiting to be better organized. I testify your desire and interest will strengthen after you take the first step of doing.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

The LDS store on LDS.org sells some essentials in #10 cans. I just purchased rice, oats and wheat at a reasonable price, shipping included.
I'm checking out the sites you mentioned. Thanks!

Beth said...

We got a bunch of water bricks for our food storage:
http://www.shelfreliance.com/waterbrick.html

They are a pain to wash and rinse out because of the construction, but you only ever have to wash them out one time. I chose them over a giant barrel or tank because they were portable. They also fit together like legos, which is awesome. They are also square-shaped, which makes them more space efficient. It's easier to find places for 16 small rectangular things than one gigantic round thing.

I highly recommend the church's home storage centers for basic things like wheat and rice and beans. You do have to can the stuff yourself, but is is WAY cheaper than getting that stuff from shelf reliance. Shelf reliance is really good for things like amaranth and spelt, though. I have decided that I like amaranth.

Nookleerman said...

If ever food is more valuable than money, I assure you bullets will be more valuable than food. It doesn't make sense to build a "bank" of any kind and not protect it. I'm just sayin'...

Post a Comment